Friday, July 1, 2011

LAST day of summer school...July 1st, 2011

It is the LAST day of summer school 2011...and today is the day to clean up and shut down until August!!!  I took pictures of my ceiling this year because we added to my semi-permanent decorations with more string art!  I do not like to work in a sterile environment with all white walls but decorating my ceiling tiles is a bit of a feat because I have approximately 10 foot ceilings and getting up their definitely requires a ladder.  In this particular case it took two ladders because getting the ceiling tiles down is a bit of a trick
thanks to all the suspension wires up in the rafters.  Oh, and did I mention they break REALLY easily (I know this because we had a couple casualties)!!!  Luckily the cracked tiles seem to be repairable with a generous amount of Super Tacky Glue!  I've always said that it is a good idea to get on the good side of the custodians and this was one of those times where a good relationship came in handy because they were able to "look the other way" while I had about 10 holes in my ceiling for a few days!!! 
You see, the reason I called the string art semi-permanent is because the students actually pin everything directly into the tiles while they are down and so its cork-like properties is actually what holds everything in place!  The name plates this year were created using block lettering and one-point perspective.   I'm hoping to eventually decorate each tile with student work but it'll take a few more summers before that can be achieved!!!  :-) 

No comments: