Saturday, October 1, 2011

Octoberfest 2011--Me & Paul


Paul invited me to go to Oktoberfest this year and I've never been so I said yes.  THEN he tells me that he and his friends from the 20/30 Club were working a beer booth and would be dressed in full lederhosen!!!  I'm thinking that I can't go in regular clothes because I'll look like the silly one standing next to him!  So I went to Fantasy Frocks where they have costumes you can rent and others you can buy!  I tried on rentals first hoping to find one that would would be long enough to cover my booty, but totally struck out.  So I had to start thinking outside of the box...I found a packaged costume I liked the colors of and the bodice fit perfectly, but the skirt was inappropriately short (for my taste anyway).  I bought it anyway and figured I'd sew myself a skirt to match!  I was actually able to use a brown skirt that I already owned because it matched the bodice perfectly and was a length I was comfortable with!  Then I just cut off the back of green skirt the costume came with and sewed it into a double apron in the front and wallah!  Next I found some pink wedge shoes that I liked and doctored them up by sewing on a light pink ribbon over the toe (so it would match the pink laces of the bodice) and sewed the brown bows from the white knee stockings on the heel strap in the back!  It all turned out so cute I actually had people asking me all night where I bought my costume!  Some were disappointed when I said I created it (knowing they couldn't purchase an equivalent) and the other half were impressed!  I was even asked by a random stranger if I'd take a picture with her...a bit strange, but I agreed.  Anyway, Paul had to work set-up for the event starting at like noon and was planning to simply change into his costume in a trailer?!?  Obviously, that wasn't gonna work for me so I just met him there around 5pm.  I'm actually glad I didn't get there much earlier, because the event really didn't have much going on.  There were beer booths, German food booths, some tables and not much else.  Later in the evening, there was a live polka-style band that added some entertainment too.  It was fun to chat and hang out with a wide variety of people, but it would have been too looooong of a day if I'd gone with him at noon!         

Same Photo...just tweaked to look like a chalk drawing!

No comments: