Saturday, October 17, 2009

Baylie's 1-Week Post-Op. Check-up...No more Cast!!!

Well, we've made it through the first week without wrecking her cast with dirt or wetness by recycling lots of grocery bags! We've spent each afternoon sitting outside on the grass watching the neighborhood kids play just to give Baylie some "get outta jail" time and I've gotten used to sleeping on the floor next to Baylie's crate. It has been a challenge always being on the lookout for movement because Baylie has to have assistance walking with a sling under her hind-half and when I'm at home I don't have the heart to lock her inside the crate. I figure if she's laying down resting and not moving then it really shouldn't matter if she does that in a crate or not especially when she's had to be in one all day long already! It seems as though we just got home from the vet's office and it's already time to go in for our one week check-up to get x-rays and cast removal. Baylie and I drove back down south on Saturday the 17th and Mom again was kind enough to keep Ginger for me so I didn't have to leave her in my backyard alone all day! We arrived at our 12:30 appointment and I was surprised that she'd actually lost a few pounds! I mean she hasn't gotten to hardly move in a week but I was told to reduce her food amount by 20-25% so I guess I did that right! The doctors took her back to get the radiographs and sent me back to wait in the admitting room until they were ready to go over her films with me. Finally about 30-45 minutes later I got called and the doctor and I looked over the x-rays together and they showed that everything was still in the proper locations and he said there is still minor bruising and swelling but other than that things looked really good! I was very happy to hear the good news! The doctor did however say that week two is "MY" week...meaning that now that the cast is off she'll appear better and will move with less obstruction and not to be fooled by such things! I still have to severely limit her activity, walking only to eat, drink, potty etc. and nothing more...she also has to wear a cone now instead of her "donut ring" because she is trying to lick her staples. If she does lick them he said it would not only prolong her healing time but could also cause infection so the incision must still be kept clean and dry. With hopes that we make it through week two without incident then she should get her staples removed by this weekend the 24th/25th of October! In weeks 3-4 we should be able to start some light physical therapy like short walks and such--something to really look forward to...fingers Crossed!!!

No comments: