Monday, May 18, 2009

Bringing in the Heavy Metal...










So for the longest time I have lived without trees in my back yard, thanks to Ginger channeling the spirit of a Beaver and eating through their trunks until they fell over! She also enjoyed chewing on the plastic sprinklers that were in the planters...I literally replaced the sprinklers once a week and most of the time I just had to turn them off because there were always new geysers shooting up all over the back yard. I had bought some brass topped sprinkler heads and that helped but she was STILL chewing on the plastic parts! I was venting to my brother one day when he mentioned that I could replace all the plastic with galvanized steel risers and brass tops...so the next time he came to town he helped me convert the whole above ground sprinkler system to metal. We even encased the grass pop-ups with metal grates made for trapping leaves in rain gutters...but they have seemed to do the trick! I am happy to report that it has been nearly 2 months and ALL of my sprinklers are still intact and working...GO METAL!!!! Now that I had reliable sprinklers...it was time to get new trees! I didn't mess around with small ones this time! I saved up some money and went out to my favorite nursery (cheap and reliable...San Antonio off of Houton Road) and picked out five 25 gallon palm trees! I then took the following Monday off of work and spent the day getting a sunburn (even though I was wearing 45 sunblock!) and digging out what was left of the trunks and root balls from the old mangled palms to get the holes ready for the new ones that the guys were bringing around 4pm to plant for me! I couldn't believe how easy they make planting such big heavy trees look...I swear they were done in about an hour (of-course I helped by pre-digging most of the holes!). So...after they were done getting the trees in the ground mom helped me start the 2 hour process of staking out and wrapping each tree in SERIOUS 4 foot tall chicken wire! It has now been a couple weeks and yes my backyard has more metal in it that most but my trees and sprinklers are all still in mint condition--a HUGE success!!!!

No comments: