
So it's two days before Christmas and Leah and I had taken Baylie, Ginger, and Dakota to the dog park and in the beginning it was a bit cloudy and a tad windy but after an hour it started to get misty...then sprinkly...and after another 30 minutes or so everybody was cold and wet so we'd decided to call it a day. As we were leaving it began raining enough the windshield wipers became necessary. I was stopped at the light at Olive Drive and Fruitvale when Baylie barked in my ear. I realized she was barking at a beautiful big yellow male Labrador who was running across Olive drive through traffic. Luckily for him, he came running up to my car when he heard the bark. I hit my hazard lights and jumped out of the car. He had a collar but no tag, but there was a little piece of yellow plastic on the ring that looked like the same color my girls have

that is for their microchip tag number! Anyways, he was nice to me and let me pet him with tail wagging and a smile on his face so I opened the back of my car and put him in! I just assumed in this nasty weather he was sure to get hit when someone couldn't stop in time with the wet roads! I then drove strait to the Coffee Road Animal Hospital (because it was the closest vet I could think of). I walked in and asked if they could scan him to see if he had a microchip and at first they couldn't find anything...but I insisted they try again because it looked like he used to have the yellow tag and sure enough, a number popped up! The desk clerk contacted the pet watch number to see if he was registered and got a contact number. We got ahold of the owner and she said her and her son were out of town!

Luckily her husband had to work and hadn't left yet, but didn't get off work until 3 pm (currently it was almost 1 pm). Long story short, I gave the wife my name and number and told her I'd take the dog home with me and await her husband's call...I almost forgot to ask her the dog's name (figured that would be important considering I inherited a third dog for the next two hours). Once we got home we played ball in the back yard while we waited...Ginger really liked "Drake-o" (spelling?)...Baylie didn't mind him as long as he didn't sniff her hind-side! The funniest part was that he had clearly NEVER used a doggie door before...we had to show him how to get outside! So, the story had a happy ending...his owner came and picked him up from my house just after 3 as his wife said he would...he was very thankful and Drake-o had so much fun playing with the girls that we had to convince him to go home!
No comments:
Post a Comment