Friday, October 17, 2008

Ginger...outta commission & moving slower for a little while!

Poor Ginger has had 2 rough days in a row! On Wednesday October 15th I took Baylie and Ginger down to the 17 news station for the annual SPCA Unleash Your Love fundraiser. Two years ago I actually got Baylie microchiped at that same event...so when we went the other day I wanted to get a chip put in Ginger and I wanted to get Baylie scanned just to see if her chip was still working right. I feel strongly about the microchip because it actually helped to save Baylie the time the gardeners left the back gate open when we lived off of White Lane. She was caught running down White Lane by a good samaritan who called my cell phone from her PetsMart tag but I was at work and didn't get the call so he then called the 800 number from the 24-PetWatch microchip tag were he got my mother's number (who was listed as my emergency contact). Between the three of us we got Baylie back alive and unharmed! Now I'm even more compelled to pull off the road and pick up dogs running on roadsides with tags...so far I have safely returned 2 dogs to their owners...I just figure karma...what goes around, comes around!


THEN...Yesterday (Thursday October 16th) I dropped off Ginger at 8am at Auburn Animal Hospital for her spay surgery. When I called at 3:30 they said she'd came through the surgery just fine! Luckily the vet allowed me to pick her up by 5:30 that evening with the deal that I'd keep her still and quiet. I arrived about 5:15 and when the nurse brought her out she looked pretty lethargic and pouty (for lack of better terms) but she was medicated so I didn't think much of it. The nurses teased her though, because they said that two seconds prior she had been happy and wagging her tail in the crate round back...but the instant she saw me she put on this pity-party-drama-queen "show" for me! She is feeling and looking better today...still sleeps more than normal but she's much more alert than yesterday! Her little belly looks so funny all shaved and for her sake I hope the hair grows back faster than Baylie's did!!! I'm sure that by tomorrow she'll be back to her old self and it will be my challenge to keep her from playing too rough and ripping out all the stitches!

2 comments:

Leah Friesen said...

It cracks me up that they shave such a large area for a small scar. Hopefully Ginger's hair will grow back as fast as Dakota's did! Good luck in trying to not let her get bored!

Moe said...

Luckily she already has some stubble...so I'm hopeful that the hair will come back sooner than later...but keeping her from playing is way harder than I'd expected!